Dr. Sharan Srinivasan
Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon
Chairman NewRo Rehab
HOD Department of Neurosciences Bhagwan Mahaveer Jain Hospital
Director, Jain Institute Of Movement Disorders & Stereotactic Neurosurgery (JIOMSN)
Dr. Sharan Srinivasan
Completed MBBS from the prestigious Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute (BMCRI) 1992-1993 and is the First student to pass DNB neurosurgery from Karnataka state- completed on 2000. Dr. Sharan has performed over 8000 major brain and spine surgeries. He is a member of many national and international professional organizations and has given invited talks & chaired sessions in many regional, national & international conferences. He has been Nominated as the sole Indian national representative in the managing committee of the AOSNR – Asia Oceania Society for NeuroRehabilitation. He was a part of the core organizing committee in charge of WCNR2018 @ Mumbai (World Congress for NeuroRehabilitation)
In The News
Dr.Sharan was followed by Worlds Leading Media for performing dystonia surgery while patient playing guitar
Dr. Sharan performing a Vo Thalamotomy for a patient with a guitarist dystonia!
The news went viral world over and got millions of views within 24Hrs. A proud moment for all Indians
Special interests Neuro Modulation with Neuro Rehabilitation
Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery, Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), Neuro Rehabilitation. Along with Dr. Sanjiv C.C, a senior consultant neurologist & Movement Disorders specialist, he has set up Jain Institute of Movement Disorders & Stereotactic Neurosurgery (JIOMSN). This facility is dedicated for treating patients with Movement Disorders (like Parkinson’s disease, tremors, dystonia, etc.), Spasticity (following a stroke, spinal cord injuries, cerebral palsy etc.) & intractable pain. This is probably one the few such Centre’s in India that is dedicated for this work, especially RF & other ablative surgeries!
Along with wife Dr. Prathiba Sharan, a medical doctor & Neuropsychologist has started NewRo – Karnataka’s first (and probably a few in India) ‘standalone’ dedicated multidisciplinary centre for Neuro Rehabilitation – helping patients who are neurologically disabled after a major stroke, head injury, brain infections, spinal cord problems, Parkinsonism, etc.
Bio-Design & Bio-Engineering
Dr. Sharan heads a Bio-design & Bio-engineering team of doctors and engineers (NewRo Kaaya Pte Ltd) who are designing many innovative, affordable medical devices for effective rehabilitation of neurologically disabled patients.
- WALK-FREE – a ceiling mounted, motorized, sensor-based, over-ground body-weight-support system harness
- An innovative, low cost, battery operated and Bluetooth enabled the device for balance assessment & training
- A mechanical upper limb unweighing system – for stroke rehab
- Have built and operating low-cost neuro rehab centers and have a good business model around that.
- Innovative therapy processes for effective neuro rehab
Social Service & Charity
Self Funded Social Service & Charity by Dr. Sharan Srinivasan
- Dr. Sharan leading a team of 14 specialists and super-specialists to Kathmandu, Nepal in April 2015 for disaster management following the massive earthquake. The team reached Kathmandu on the third day after the devastating earthquake and remained there for 14 days and performed over 60 major surgeries, 100 minor procedures and saw over 2000 OPDs. Also donated surgical implants, medicines, etc. totally costing over 8 lakhs! The team also went into the countryside by walk and distributed rations, food, clothing and blankets to those who had lost everything in the quake. All this charity was self-funded.
- They also run an NGO for funding poor patients – called Swaasthya Aarogya Foundation – 80G trust. They have funded major neurosurgeries so far for over 50 patients and advanced neuro rehab therapies for over 100 patients.